Sunday, 13 July 2014

Book Review: Christmas Cross-stitch Treasures by Joan Elliott

Yes - I know it's July and the temperature is about to hit 30 degrees later this week, but if you want one of the larger cross stitch pieces from this book finished in time for Christmas you're going to have to start around now (although there are smaller patterns too!)



This is a truly delightful book full of beautiful timeless classic cross stitch designs. There are 18 patterns in total and the level of detail in each one is amazing.



At the back of the book there are three A4 pages full of advice on how to start to stitch - this includes working from charted designs, stitching with beads, french knots and finishing up. The issue of framing your work while stitching isn't covered. This isn't essential but there is a wide choice of frames, particularly at the larger end of the scale which may have been helpfully explained here since the projects are very big and may be cumbersome to hold. However these instructions are enough to get you started and don't waste space for those who are already in-the-know.



Eight of the 18 designs are large and will occupy your hands for a few months or weeks - dependent on how busy or experienced you are. 'The Snow Princess' stood out as particularly special in my view (pictured above). Usually there are a couple of patterns I don't like but I could imagine myself stitching all these designs.

The charts are very clearly printed and the numbered threads are given for Anchor and DMC - something you don't always get with a cross stitch book. This enables you to easily shop for a variety of threads if you are on a budget. Joan also has worked out how large each design will be if you stitch on 11, 14, 16, 18, 25, 28 and 32 count aida.

This book was sent to me at my request by Search Press. Please buy 'Christmas Cross-stitch Treasures' by Joan Elliott from Search Press. Thanks to Search Press for sending me this book to review and for generously linking to my blog.

1 comment:

Martha said...

Thank you for pointing this book to me, I love J. E's designs especially her red Scandinavian ones. Bought it on Amazon and the book is already on my shelf :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...