Friday, 24 May 2013

Book Review: Children's Sun Hats by Gill Stratton



If you're feeling inspired to sew after seeing the 'Great British Sewing Bee' then 'Children's sun hats' by Gill Stratton is a wonderful bright bold fun book with some lovely hats in to spoil your children with this summer.



Out of the 20 patterns three are baby hats, seven are for boys, seven are for girls and three are recycled hats.



The templates are half size over five pages at the back of the book which need to be enlarged by 200 per cent. There are eight pages of photo-illustrated basic techniques at the beginning of the book on: 'Using patterns to cut out the fabric', 'Using iron-on interfacing', 'Assembling a brim', 'Attaching the crown to the middle section', 'Attaching the brim to the crown', 'Making and attaching the lining', 'Making a six-part crown', and 'Making and attaching a peak'.



Gill says in her introduction to the book 'Sun hats have become a summer essential to keep the sun from children's delicate faces. However if, like me, you spend most of the summer nagging your children to put their hats on, then this book is for you. I found that if I let my children choose the shape and colour of the hat, they were much more likely to wear it.'



I can say that this is definitely the case. I never had a hat made for me but I wore a cotton dress my mother made for me which was blue with colourful lollypops on to death, and was distraught when I grew out of it. It was a dress she never would have found in any shop and I loved the fabric so much.



'Children's Sun Hats by Gill Stratton was released last month and is available from Search Press.

Thanks to Search Press for sending me this book to review.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...