Sunday, 26 August 2012

Vegan Carob Cheesecake

I baked myself a carob vegan cheesecake a couple of days ago. Followers of my tweets will know I had difficulty obtaining the biscuits due to one health food shop being shut for a week for refurbishment. So it was especially pleasurable to finally find the biscuits and bake the cheesecake.


I hadn't been able to find a recipe for vegan cheesecake which didn't involve vegan cream cheese or vegan cream. I was never a fan of cream when a non-vegan and I'm certainly not now. Vegan cream is definitely not my cup of tea. So I was delighted when I found this recipe with just tofu in.

You will be able to find all the ingredients in your local health food shop or your normal supermarket. Some 'normal' digestives are dairy free although may have been produced in a factory alongside products which contain dairy and may not be strictly vegan.

I found the recipe in the 'Green Harvest' book which may be familiar to vegans, although I have altered it quite a bit.

BASE:

100g of vegan digestive biscuits
2 tablespoons of vegan margarine ('Pure' available in all supermarkets)

TOPPING:

1 packet of silken firm tofu (the type of tofu must be silken and firm)
1 tablespoon of carob flour (or cocoa powder if you prefer a stronger chocolate taste/aren't caffeine free)
2 teaspoons of vegan margarine
1 and a half tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of soya milk

Preheat oven to 180C (350F, gas mark 4, fan oven 160C). Crush the digestive biscuits in a bag with a rolling pin. Melt the 2 tablespoons of margarine in a pan then add the crushed biscuits. Press this mixture into an 8 inch round tin and leave in the fridge. Then, using a blender, mix together all the topping ingredients. It will be quite thick so give it a stir halfway through then blend again. Pour this mixture over the top of the base, and place in a pre-heated oven for 20-30 minutes. Usually when you can start smelling the cheesecake it's done. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, then place in the fridge to cool further. Serves 8.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...