Friday, 15 June 2012

Book Review: The Stitching Book

The Stitching Book by Search Press is an unusual guide to traditional and historical stitching techniques which you may not have heard of. It's an exhaustive encylopedia of surface stitching techniques.



I loved reading through this book. The introductions to the history of each technique is fascinating. Blackwork is thought to have been brought to England by Moors and Arabs in the thirteenth century with soliders returning from the Crusades in the Holy Lands.



Later on the Spanish Princess, Katharine of Aragon, brought the technique to England in 1501, and after marrying Henry VIII, heavily influenced the English court with her passion for embroidery. I felt excited after reading this when I stitched one of the patterns from the book above.



The book covers eight major sewing techniques. Silk shading, Crewel Embroidery, Mountmellick, Stumpwork, Hardanger, Blackwork, Drawn Thread Embroidery and Goldwork



Within each section there is advice on materials, fabric, the basics and then some patterns to get you going.



The step-by-step instructions are very slow and clear. It's so accessible and gives you that itch to stitch.



Personally I cling to aida and cross stitch when I sew by hand as if for safety! So this book was a breath of fresh air which may shake my addiction to aida. I'm attracted to satin stitch and padded satin stitch in particular looks very clever.



Satin stitch means drawing an outline and filling it in with lots of long stitches from edge to edge. It looks easy but I have never tried it.



The basic advice in here means any questions you have had like how to frame or transferring a design onto the fabric is outlined in full.



This book is well worth the money and you will refer to it time and time again.

The Stitching Book is out now and available to buy from Search Press.

Thanks to Search Press for sending me this book to review.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Great review! This does look like one for my wish list... I love the Blackwork design you did from the book, look forward to see what else you stitch from it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...