Friday, 6 April 2012

Book Review: Teach Yourself LinkedIn in 10 minutes


Sams Teach Yourself LinkedIn in 10 Minutes (Sams Teach Yourself...in 10 Minutes) is such a fabulous book. I picked it up from the library and as the new edition is coming out this wednesday I thought I would review it so you know just how good it is.

Even though the website has moved so quickly that my 2011 edition is now out of date, I still learnt so many tips from it. It's a bit misleading in its title as you would need more than 10 minutes to write a proper profile but it's still a brilliant book. It's not just about how to create your online CV but how to participate in groups, customise your profile and add applications such as blogger to it. You can even choose which tweets from twitter will update your profile to stop personal or irrelevant tweets being read by potential employers. I picked up the following hint from it to customise my public profile url and to change it from a messy url of numbers to my name:

1. Go to the top right of the screen and hover over your name.

2. Click 'settings'.

3. At the bottom of the screen click 'edit your public profile'

4. Then at the top right of the next screen it will ask you to click if you want to customise your url. Click this then type in your name. If your name is already taken you could always use your second name like I did.

I have just made a connection with Hilary from Craft Blog UK over there who has set up a Craft Blog UK group.

You can see the LinkedIn button on the sidebar to the right of this post. Click it and make a connection!

2 comments:

Planet Penny said...

I have to admit to still being baffled by LinkedIn but with the Craft Blog page I'm meeting lots of new bloggers! Helloooo!

Jo said...

Hello! I think as with anything, the more you use it the more useful it becomes, so I'm planning to get more involved too : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...