Sunday, 19 February 2012

The Creative Process

First of all, apologies for the lack of posts. I've been bedridden with a very heavy cold and haven't turned my laptop on much for about a week. This collection of yarn really cheered me up!


On the plus side I've had lots of time just to lie and think, which is something I rarely do these days. I tried not to worry about all the things I wasn't getting done and focused instead on thinking about all the projects I have on the go and reviewing them all. The last time I reviewed everything was in November after my last cold and a few good things began to happen as a result.

It got me thinking about switching off and just doing nothing. Sometimes this is more productive than sitting at a laptop toiling away, sending emails to editors, studying harder, marketing the business frantically. Sometimes it's incredibly good just to stop.

Anyone who does anything creative knows that about ninety percent of the creative process is doing anything but being creative. It involves going swimming, walking, weeding, visiting your nan. Moments which Virgina Woolf would call 'non-being'. The last ten percent is when you finally sit down at your laptop and write the story, or article, or finish the project you're on.

So instead of being full of worry about the court visit I missed and therefore the article I couldn't write for my diploma portfolio I'm choosing to focus on all the wonderful thinking I did and where it may take me.

Have a good week!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...