Friday, 23 September 2011

Refuge Comfort Blanket

I haven't been crocheting for very long (my shrug has crashed temporarily due to either me or the pattern...more in a few days) so I need all the practice I can possibly get. I opened up my emails a few days ago and came across this Refuge fundraising campaign to get people to knit or crochet blankets. There is a wonderful e-book available after a suggested donation of £5 or more which contains 25 designs for mostly knitted squares, although there is a pattern for a crocheted square too. They have already raised £1,362 which I think is truly amazing alongside all the child and adult blankets which will flood their offices soon!

Here's my effort, using up leftover bits of DK stash:



You need 30 squares for a child's blanket or 63 for an adult's blanket. You can't post individual blanket squares but you can take just one or two to The Knitting and Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace on 6-9 October to sew them onto a blanket yourself.

This is such a cathartic thing to spend your time doing. There is never enough money to help the victims of domestic violence, and I don't know why, but people don't always see the issue as a matter of urgency. It's an issue close to my heart and I hope you will, as readers of my blog, pick up your crochet hook or knitting needles for a brilliant cause with me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...