Saturday, 24 September 2011

Book Review: Indie Craft

'Indie Craft' is a book by Jo Waterhouse. It's pure entertainment. I don't think I could have had more entertainment walking into an alternative craft exhibition.



It features the work of 29 artists working with a range of materials. There is crochet in here, felting, embroidery, sewing, knitting, cross stitch and paper. Projects often combine two or more of these and look amazing as a result.

Each section features an interview with the artist and some excellent photographs of their work. It took my breathe away when I opened the book due to the depth of colour and quality of the art/craft.

Also the work challenged me as I love alternative crafting but haven't come across some of the methods used in this book before.

This is my favourite section of the book! Artist Patricia Waller works in crochet and adds materials such as wire, wood and metal to create alternative works. Her work is a display of violence with dark humour.



This photo below is also a favourite. This struck me as being in the vein of Tracey Emin who also draws on real-life experiences of relationships and emotions. Joetta Maue is an American artist who sews the most amazing embroidery. I have featured one photo of her work but the others in the book are simply phenomenal.



Kate Westerholt works in cross stitch with a definite indie twist!



Shauna Richardson is an Irish artist crocheting with mohair wool.



This book is a must have if you love novelty, alternative, indie, call-it-what-you-want crafting. Projects such as 'Knit the City' have put a spring in the step of alternative crafting. It's a lovely book to keep on the coffee table and you will find yourself staring at it in amazement!

You can buy 'Indie Craft' here on Amazon.

*This book was sent to me to review by Laurence King Publishing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...