Saturday, 11 September 2010

Prince's Trust & Organic Cotton

Regular readers will know that in July I blogged about getting in touch with the Prince's Trust as I was thinking about taking my handmade items offline more to see if it would increase sales. Well, two months later, I can proudly claim that I managed the four day course this week although I am completely exhausted today! I was determined to complete it and I knew I would feel tired during the week. I'm sure that if I was any less passionate about making and selling handmade I would have drooped halfway through...

The main lessons I learnt in terms of selling was to be more confident when talking about what I make. At the moment I'm not used to that and I felt a bit embarrassed. People picked up on that and of course they lost interest and certainly didn't feel confident enough to buy from me. Also I need to buy and wear more handmade items. I make for my shop now far more than I make items for myself. I need to take the time to make duplicates so I can wear one of my handmade bags or scarves when I'm out...and also talk confidently about them of course!

If you are in a position to access a Prince's Trust course or know someone who is I would definitely recommend them highly.

I took a walk during lunchtime yesterday at Weston Super Mare where the course was held in an attempt to find some supplies. The wool shop I was looking for had gone out of business in October 2008. I found this out from a lady in a more diverse craft shop which sold a bit of everything. It looks like being a more diverse shop has kept her going through the recession. I found some lovely organic cotton in her shop and bought myself a new crochet hook as I'm currently borrowing all of mine. Having some new yarn was so nice after a couple of weeks of being at the bottom of my stash from knitting so many mittens for my shop...I'm going mad with red and pink stripes : )

Next week I will be away from my shop again as I am going to be in Yorkshire on a writing residential from Monday to Saturday. I will keep my etsy shop open so you can browse and buy. I will send any orders on Monday 20th September...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...