Tuesday, 20 April 2010

A Sequined Mess

I bought a top from a high street chain which shall remain nameless for legal reasons (I'm going to slate the top) about a year ago. The top ticked all the boxes for me but it certainly wasn't cheap. It was very long, relaxed looking, khaki green and full of great looking sequins. It did briefly cross my mind that the sequins might loosen when washed but a quick look at the label reassured me that it could be put in the washing machine on 40 degrees (I normally wash at 30 degrees) and would be OK. I've had more durable looking tops which say handwash only so I was impressed.

Well you can guess what happened next. The washing machine drum was full of silver sequins when the wash ended and I wasn't in the best of moods. Anyway it's taken me so long so try and mend the top...it was the thought of sewing all those fiddly sequins back on and the material is so cheap and thin it isn't sturdy enough for all the weight. The ends of the sequinned rows are not fastened and the sequins just pop off at the bottom. Therefore I have had to pick up the exposed strand at the end of each row and undo about ten sequins, put them back on the needle and fasten off properly.

Of course the good thing about it is that it's stopped me going shopping for new clothes and I have a mended top : )

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...