Sunday, 22 June 2008

Knit and Purl

Thought I'd have a bit of a play with my dark wool. The baby blanket I'm making is 60% light pink and 40% dark wool so I'll have more darker than lighter pink wool at the end of the project. I also don't like the dark pink wool. The texture is quite harsh so I've decided to use it up.

The stitch above is called loop pattern. I made up two more swatches than I'm showing here, and this was my favourite of them all. The holes are made by slipping every other stitch on the left needle (simply pass the loop from the left needle onto the right). All you do is cast on a multiple of 2 stitches (2,4,6,8) and add on two more. Then, knit the first row, the 2nd row is *K1, sl 1: rep from * to last 2 sts, K2, then 3rd row knit, then 4th row K2 *sl 1, K1, rep from * to end.

It was really good to knit as you do half the knitting you would normally do. I also love the holes in the knitting, it gives it real texture. Maybe this would be a good stitch for a summer hat to make it cooler.

This was quite an interesting stitch, but didn't impress me much. It's called Alternated Smooth Stitch and Tier, which tells you all you should know already! It looked great in the book, but then I am using up wool I don't like, so maybe it's that. It curled like ribbing does so wouldn't be good for anything you wanted to lie flat, like a scarf or a blanket. With any number of stitches, cast on and knit the 1st, 3rd and 4th rows, not forgetting to purl the 2nd. Then repeat.

This was the most complicated stitch to do in the whole book...each one of 48 rows are totally different, so you can't just learn the pattern and relax. I'm not going anywhere near this until a very competent knitter! All the stiches were taken from this book, which I wholeheartedly recommend to all knitters, whether beginners or experienced knitters. It's fab!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...