Wednesday, 26 March 2008

Felt is cute

So, here it is, my first post in over a month. What have I been doing? Well, erm, learning to knit mostly (amongst other activities obviously!). I thought I'd never get the hang of knitting after many attempts at primary school where I gained so many stitches on each row it looked terrible. Alas, I finally mastered the ancient art of knitting and am making a blue and cream blanket and a pink scarf. Interesting to learn from one of my crafting books that knitting used to be for the poorer classes until it started being dyed bright colours and art students began making it cool in the sixties...

Today is the first day I've had a chance to spend a few hours on material that isn't wool! If I thought walking into a shop and looking at all the colourful embroidery threads was calming, it has no comparison to standing in front of all the many wonderfully coloured and textured wools and yarns in my habardashery shop - so comforting! Although a mammoth shopping trip to John Lewis is calling...

Last night I was admiring my ever-growing craft collection - when I actually began to do something other than knit:



I got the idea for this from trying to find stuffed hearts to hang on my wardrobe doors - mostly shop-bought ones seem to get the right idea and I pick them up excitedly, but throw them down in disgust when I turn them over and realise they've used really cheap material to keep costs down. What if someone, admiring your decoration, decided to pick it up? Then you'd be embarrassed. So, hopefully, I won't be embarrassed to show these off:



I'm also planning to make some toys from the mountain of felt I bought a couple of weeks back. Who knows...I may even sell them...!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...